Autor Thema: SOLEX  (Gelesen 7817 mal)

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
SOLEX
« am: 22. Januar 2015, 22:27:10 »
Entschuldigung mein schlechtes deutsch, I will write the rest in english!

I live in Sweden and my son and I bought a 1900 GT AL in may 2013. It has beed driven year round while restored, and has now 30 000 km more on the meter.

When bought it had a Weber with manual choke. A month ago I finally found a SOLEX 32 TDID, which was cleaned and polished. All flanges were planed (VERY IMPORTANT!). Spindles for throttle were good, but choke was rebuilt and tweaked a bit. The first 1000 km I had to run with electrical choke because I had no T-tubes. I got those two days ago and have started it cold 3 times and a dozen warm with water-choke.

The water-choke i far superior than the electric. It does not turn off so quickly and it does not engage when parked some 15 minutes with warm engine.

Ambient temperature outside has been around 0°C and it is about +15°C in my garage.

The Weber gave me problems with ice at about +2°C and rain, but it was solved whit a modified air-cleaner and an aluminum tube.

Of course I prefer an manual choke, but I want the car reasonably original and the SOLEX is really good.

Do not throw it away.

Just make sure all flanges are plane and that there are no exessive play in spindles. NB also the extra spindle for the idle advance, usually much play there.

So, I really like the SOLEX.

I will send pictures I someone can explain in english how it is done.

BR
Johan Tisell
johan.tisell@telia.com

Offline Reiner

• Moderator.
  • GT 16V (C20XE) & 1900 US GT
    • opelclub-schwarzwald-baar
Re: SOLEX
« Antwort #1 am: 23. Januar 2015, 06:39:33 »
Hello,
 Welcome to GT Forum  :wink:

Your experiences with the Solex carburetors are interesting.
 We would be delighted if you could insert here the images.

What is the gas mileage compared to Weber.

Perhaps you can also imagine your GT here.

regards Reiner
Gruß Reiner

Offline Opel-GT-73

• GT Fahrer.
  • sh.opelGT.org
    • sh.opelGT.org
« Antwort #2 am: 23. Januar 2015, 08:58:22 »
My water choke is given me a hard time, any sugestions were to get a good part ? Number 66 in the Pic

Gruß Stephan
Hompage: http://sh.opelGT.org Mailto: Stephan@opelGT.org

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #3 am: 23. Januar 2015, 10:07:45 »
Do you need part 66? I have a couple...

Check for play on the lever which ends above casket for top, next to letter "B". On several off the carbs I have played with, it is a big play. Press new bushing in hole. The brass vacuum tube on an old carb can be used!

HOW DO I ADD PICTURES????

Mi milage is probably the same, between 8,5 and 10,5. Never faster than 120 km/h.

I will try an image here:

/Users/johan/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2015/01/09/20150109-180535/DSC03858.JPG

Offline Brandy

• GT Fahrer.
  • Auch Arme haben Beine!
« Antwort #4 am: 23. Januar 2015, 15:39:17 »
Hi Johan,

to add pictures go to
www.picr.de

Keep all settings (picture size = 800, direct output in BB-Code).

There is a 'Browse' button in the upper area of the site, click it and chose your pictures from your hard drive.(max 10 pictures per upload).
After you chosen your pictures click on 'Upload starten' at the bottom end of the site.

After that you will see a new window showing the links to your pictures like

Copy the lines with the square brackets (keep also the square brackets !) into the thread and click on 'Vorschau' (which means preview).
This way you can see your pics before they are effectively posted.
If you're happy click on 'schreiben' and your post will be placed into the forum - including your pictures.

Good luck!

Viele Grüße aus FFB!
Ich wünsche allen eine knitterfreie Fahrt!

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #5 am: 24. Januar 2015, 21:55:11 »
Danke, ich versuche jetzt...

Under fuel filter you can see winter-heating of air. Alu-tube painted black

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #6 am: 24. Januar 2015, 22:10:06 »

First picture shows the importance of sanding all flanges plane. Don't forget both flanges on acc-pump.

Second picture; the axle/spindle with the nut is often with a lot of play and will cause irregular increased idle

Third picture, Fertig!

Fourth picture with electric choke

Fifth picture with water-choke and on engine is friends carb that has been fixed today.

Sixth picture, Quite OK? CO=2,2%. Swedish law demands less than 4,5 YES, I have been driving in the snow today...

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #7 am: 24. Januar 2015, 22:20:08 »
Und Das Auto (aber doch kein Käfer!)

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #8 am: 24. Januar 2015, 22:39:33 »
The first picture shows a modified air-cleaner for winter. The tube gets hot air from exhaust manifold.

I have also modified air cleaner using bottom in the top to accommodate paper filter.

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.

Offline rob

• GT Fahrer.
  • Nur mit Turbo fährt der GT wie er aussieht
« Antwort #10 am: 25. Januar 2015, 17:44:17 »
Kann man den link in wichtige Sachen reintun---ADMIN...zb Anleitungen vergaser ----oder dergleichen

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #11 am: 28. Januar 2015, 23:10:56 »
I have now driven some 800 km with the SOLEX and water-choke.

Everything is great and the idel is much more even and smooth than with the WEBER.

So, if you want to stay original, just be careful when restoring the carb; plane flanges, no extra play in any spindle, make shore that choke butterfly runs freely and that every nozzle is clean.

I have had no problems with it, but you might have to check weight of  floater, they tend to soak fuel and get heavier.

Also, the heat air valve (with bimetal spring) must close properly (bend it slightly) and have gasket under it.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline FDR607

• GT Fahrer.
« Antwort #12 am: 14. Februar 2015, 08:21:47 »
I have now restored a third carb for a friend. It was quite warped due to over tightening of the for nuts. It took quite  a lot of grinding to make it plane and I took 3 pictures to show this. The carb hat not only leaked air, but also fuel at the acc-pump, se the other 2 pictures how it was planed.

Sanding was done on a plane floor tile/stone and started with 120 grain and finished with 240. Only 120 shown in pictures.

BR Johan

Offline Juergen

• GT Fahrer.
  • Rost ist ein Arsch1och
« Antwort #13 am: 14. Februar 2015, 10:36:34 »
Nabend,

zum Vergaser hätt ich auch noch was:

http://ingbilly.de/pages/gt19sole.html

Gruß
Jürgen

Offline FDR607